ABOUT THE ASSIGNMENT
Vehicle engines are equipped with flywheels. These flywheels provide the rotational energy and inertia to achieve a low and stable idle RPM. The engine cannot be mounted directly to this inertia due to crankshaft resonances. As a result, a complicated rotational hydraulic damper has been designed and successfully tested but has a high weight. Weight is a crucial factor in the design of any aircraft, therefore PAL-V is looking for a student to optimize the design of this rotational damper by changing the design to a friction-type damper.
The project will start with a study on the current rotational damper design, to understand the requirements and workings of such a damper. After study, a friction-based damper concept must be developed and modelled, with help of PAL-V specialists. This consists of CAD drawings in SolidWorks, simulations, calculations and production drawings. Preferably, the working principle of the damper is to be ordered and tested.
The student will be part of the Powerplant team and participate in all team meetings. Support for the student will come mainly from the Powerplant Team Lead, but the student can ask help from any PAL-V specialist. It is expected of the student to technically fill in this project, but also properly manage it, meaning arranging meetings with specialists, monitor progress and pro-actively flag any issues that arise, to assure timely reaction. PAL-V has an Agile working method, where tasks are planned, carried out and reviewed in 2-week sprints that conform to the company planning.
Our perfect candidate
- You study HBO mechanical engineering or automotive engineering.
- You are in the fourth year of your studies and are looking for a graduation assignment.
- You have affinity with the aviation industry and/or innovation
- You feel at home in an international, growing and entrepreneurial organisation.
Our offer for you
What sets the standard:
- An excellent internship allowance.
- Commute and homework allowance.
- Good internship supervision by an experienced colleague.
- We are easily accessible by car and there is bus stop about 10 minutes’ walk away.
To keep you healthy:
- Flexible hours.
- Fresh fruit in the office.
- Vitality platform through which you can get in touch with other colleagues who practice the same hobbies or just to discover new hobbies together.
Because it’s fun:
- We have new interns in almost every department every period, so you can connect with other students.
- Team activities, we have a party committee!
- You may have the opportunity to continue working after your internship.
The application process
1. Send an email and a motivational letter specific for our organisation to email@example.com. Please also let us know when your internship period starts, when it ends and how many hours you are available per week.
Note: If you are an international student we would like to ask you to use Pathfinder. In it you will find all practical information for international students who want to study, do an internship or stay in the Netherlands after their studies.
2. You receive a direct confirmation of your application.
Note: this could be in your SPAM folder.
3. Within 10 workdays, you will receive a personal reaction on your application. This can be an invitation to the next rounds or rejection based on your experience or company requirements.
4. PAL-V has a max of 2 meeting rounds in the procedure, during you would speak to Teamlead Powerplant and a team member.